Wednesday, April 7, 2010

5 Spot

Price: $$
Thoughts: ☆☆☆
5 Spot: Menu

Another sandwich and burger craving this week. I've been meaning to eat at 5 Spot for a little while now with my craving for some good American food. This would be the first time visiting the heart of Queen Anne, and I definitely would never have run by this part of town without knowing about this restaurant. It felt like a small oasis in the middle of a huge hill. Finding parking without a zone-permit restricts you to 2-hour street parking; there is literally no space to build a parking lot in this area.

5 Spot boasts a diverse menu that rotates between different parts of America. The featured theme was Mississippi Delta Blues. It looks like when doing a theme, they include restaurant decorations; steam boats, paintings, some nice catchy southern blues. The drinking cups were glass jars printed with a fish logo and the word MASON, which I found really cool.


The menu cover and the drinking jars


We started with their fried green tomatoes because it was something new and sounded simple:


Fried Green Tomatoes with a side of salad


I really enjoyed the tomatoes, firm unripe tomatoes dredged in cornmeal works well with their Tabasco tartar. My friend seemed to enjoy the salad more, which was lettuce, dijon mustard and a vinaigrette.

For the main course I went with their Memphis Blues BBQ Pork Sandwich after finding out that it was pulled pork.


Slow hickory smoked pork smothered in sweet Tennessee BBQ & served with fries and slaw.


I would say the pulled pork was unbelievable, one bite and you could taste the smokiness from the meat. However their choice of using a hoagie bun wasn't appealing. I would've preferred something like a kaiser roll or something with a little more firmness. They seemed to have perfected the formula for the perfect fries to me, crispy but not crunchy.

My friend got the Longhorn Burger, which was quite large:


Big country Painted Hills ground chuck with roasted Anaheim pepper, bacon, pepper jack cheese & frizzled onions. Served with ancho dusted fries.


The Anaheim pepper that laid on top of the patty looked like it would give a nice kick to the whole burger.

For dessert, two orders of their mud pie to finish off the meal, which was also part of the Mississippi theme as well. The waitress double checked with us to make sure we really wanted two slices. In the past, several restaurants I've been to would question my judgement on how much I am capable of eating:


Vanilla fudge swirl ice cream with chocolate espresso chips layered with chocolate sauce & topped with homemade marshmallow creme.


I'm not huge on sweets, but this was very rich. The layer of toasted marshmallow was a little over 1" in thickness. After the fifth bite it became a painful struggle to finish it alone; my friend refused to assist! I managed to eat all but a small portion of it before conceding defeat. It left me with the painfully full feeling, rather than just full. But it was still quite good.

The atmosphere was nice and hip, the waiters were very attentive and added to the pleasant atmosphere and made the meal really enjoyable. At no point in the meal did I feel rushed or dissatisfied with what I was eating (in fact I think the waitress can gauge my stomach better than myself for dessert).

Even though this place has a wide variety of Dinner entrées, it feels like their breakfast/brunch dishes would be their true strengths. I'll have to find time to try it! This place is worth giving a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment