Monday, March 29, 2010

Baguette Box

Price: $
Thoughts: ☆☆☆
Baguette Box: Menu

This place is half a block down from Ristorante Machiavelli at the edge of the Capitol Hill/Downtown border. The weather had been really weird (but then again this is Seattle), going from a violent windstorm, heavy rain, to sunny within the period of two hours. Luckily we got a relatively good spot on the same block. Be warned, the interior is chilly.

Seeing as this was our dinner we were convinced that one sandwich isn't going to be filling so my friend ordered two baguettes; the braised berkshire pork belly baguette which was literally forming a pool of liquid at the bottom of the bread boat, but it smelled really good:


"braised natural pork belly + pickled cucumber + hoisin sauce + cilantro"


The other sandwich was their crispy drunken chicken baguette which was what we both agreed to get from previewing the menu earlier:


"battered crispy chicken + sweet tangy sauce + caramelized onions + cilantro"


Adding to the drunken chicken baguette I decided to on a salad to add a little variety to my order of drunken chicken. Originally I planned to get their tuna niçoise salad but I went with the grilled ‘painted hills’ lemongrass steak salad instead:


"grilled organic lemongrass beef + organic greens + green onion oil + roasted peanuts + red wine vinaigrette"


I personally enjoyed the salad over my drunken chicken baguette. The green onion oil and red wine vinaigrette gave it a nice salty and sweet taste. I think I could've done without the red onions as it was a big strong in this salad.

Last but not least was my little side order of their truffle fries. I wasn't sure at first which would be the truffle part, the stuff being fried, or the oil that's used to fry. Just your russet potatoes deep fried in truffle oil. This simple combination works wonders, and tastes great with or without any condiments. I was thankful that it was only very lightly salted, as the truffle oil gives you all of the flavor that you would want.



Sadly, I feel that the truffle fries was the order that stood out the most and wowed me. The baguette wasn't as glorious as I had initially anticipated which surprised me coming from a restaurant that specializes in baguettes, but it wasn't bad either. I found it very delicious, but was overshadowed by the fries and the salad.

I would recommend eating here if you are looking for a quick fix, but nothing to fill you up unless you are willing to order multiple items. All which come with a larger price tag for a sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment